Jan 11, 2009

last one

So had to wait one more week for the ultrasound and appt with the girl dr… I made it to Thursday fairly calm… all day Thursday it was all I could do to make it through to Friday and the appt…

 

This week was the first part of our year end close for 2008… this made time go by quickly… but at this point I have been waiting for some answers since Christmas Eve and I am done being patient… finally Friday came and it was time for the appt… again dusty went with me… (he is great by the way with not letting me cry or get upset or have a pity party during all of this… he keeps me laughing all the time… for this I am thankful!) girl dr is great!  Made me feel very comfortable from the beginning… (this was my first time to see her) however, the first thing she told me was that she did not have an ultrasound scheduled for Friday… this pushed me over the edge and I lost it right there in the exam room and it was not pretty… I explained to her that I had been telling myself for 3 weeks that if I was patient then I would get some answers today!  She was wonderful and set up an ultrasound for 1:15… this was a relief… she felt the same mass and also assured me it was not on my uterus… she believed it to be an ovarian cyst… she stated that it may be one of those that has teeth and hair and bones, etc… (creepy… didn’t even know that was possible!)… she said that there was a slight chance of cancer and she wanted to get a cat scan as well just to rule out anything… she did say to prepare myself for surgery by the end of January!! She also said that it would have to be abdominal surgery, we would not be able to do it laparoscopically… this would mean longer for recovery…

 

So, dusty and I needed to kill an hour… and I needed to drink 32 oz of water during that time and not empty my bladder… I guess it is easier to see everything if you have a full bladder… dusty’s comment was that I was finally going to learn to hold it (I am not good at this…) so we went to quizno’s and kohls of course to kill time… by the time we got to the ultrasound it was excruciating… we were in the waiting room and someone came out to get water from the ozarka water bottle and then someone else came out to fill the coffee pot… at this point I thought I was on candid camera I had to go so bad!! They finally called me back and it was interesting to do an ultrasound… this was my first one… the gel was nice and warm which was good… if it had been cold, I might have lost all control of the bladder right there on the table… so she puts on the machine and I guess finds the cyst right away!  She was taking snapshots all over the place… did I mention that you have a very full bladder and they are pushing hard right on it!!! It is not comfortable… also, everyone keeps asking if I am in pain and I am not unless they push on it… which was happening a lot that day! You don’t get to see the ultrasound and the tech doesn’t really tell you anything, but I was glad just to know that it was getting done and I would have some more answers on Monday…

 

I dropped dusty off and headed back to work… on the way back to work the dr assistant called to say they had scheduled the cat scan on Monday and we needed to pick up the “contrast” to drink before the scan… and she had some great news!  The cyst was not a cyst but a fibrous mass on uterus… the likelihood of cancer is very unlikely in a mass, but they still wanted to do the cat scan to make sure and to get the actual location of the mass… outside of uterus, in wall of uterus, etc… she let me know that surgery was still a necessity to remove the mass and that it would be a myectomy… this will allow us to still start a family after the mass is removed and the uterus heals up… said going forward I will have to have c-sections when we do have kids… this is okay with me… just glad kids are still in the picture… this was great news for me…

 

Went back to work (did I mention it is our end of year accounting time… needless to say all of this has been a little stressful, but work has been great!)… our accounting computer programs were down so I looked up some information on uterine fibroids… number one symptom… heavy monthly visits… leading to anemia!  This mass may be the cause of it all!!! So here’s hoping that when it comes out everything returns to normal and won’t have to do iron iv treatments much longer… I also have done a lot of internet research on the surgery as well… probably not a good idea… there are a lot of horror stories out there…

 

So now here we are… cat scan is Monday at 11:15, next iron treatment Tuesday at 1:00 and meet with girl dr on Wednesday at 10:30 to plan surgery and get more details…

 

Specific prayer requests… if you could pray for us, that would be wonderful!

 

Sleep/rest – I keep waking up and all I can think about is the unknown – waiting for Wednesday will seem like forever

 

Faith – to know that God is in control and that there is a reason for everything ( I cannot express how thankful I am to God that we have not gotten pregnant before now, or even tried to get pregnant and then had to try to deal with all of this at the same time

 

Recovery – looks like with this type of surgery I will be out of work for a minimum of 4 weeks, luckily we have FMLA paid leave and this shouldn’t be any cause for concern… I am fairly independent though and it will be hard for me to let people help, and rest and not clean and no driving for 4 weeks!  This will be hard

 

Patience – for the same reasons as above I need to have patience with my body to let it heal

 

Dusty and I – pray for us to grow closer and be patient with one another during the recovery time period… pray for him to be able to rest as well… school starts back up this week for him and things will be getting crazy again

 

Work – pray for me to not stress about missing so much work… God’s timing in amazing… up until now, I am the only person in the company that knows my job and what I do, we just added someone to our group this Thursday to start training on what I do… for a variety of reasons, but this is Gods timing I am sure…

 

We will keep you posted on what we hear… sorry for the long blogs and for not sharing what has been going on, we just really didn’t have much information to share… here’s hoping that going forward we will continue to have more details of what is going to happen… 

2 comments:

Lynly said...

i am definitely praying. you and my mom should trade pre/post-surgery stories. : )

Shannon said...

This might be weird, but yea it's a fibroid thingy. Sounds a lot better than a mass with teeth and stuff or cancer. I'm sure everything is going to be fine. And the getting help from everyone is annoying,but believe me when you do it yourself it hurts later!