Feb 3, 2009

Post Surgery Update...

So, figured it was time for a post surgery update.  i will try to use more capitals and less ... as those are things that Dusty does not enjoy.  It will be hard, but I will do my best :) 

First for the good news, my hematologist called and said that he wanted me to come in on Wednesday before the surgery to make sure that my hematology levels were high enough for the surgery on Thursday, so I left work early (which meant training had to be done early, this whole process was fairly stressful and I am so thankful it is over) and went to take some tests.  Turned out that my numbers looked good. The iron treatments are kicking in!!! My hema levels went from an 8 to a 12 and my platelets went from a 1 to a 315!!!! This was a huge answer to prayer to know that going through the iron treatments had been worth it, the dr. said that he wanted me to come back after the surgery to make sure my levels all still looked good and we would decide a course of treatment going forward.  At this point I was still hoping that would not be necessary as it was this evil mass that was causing all of the problems an when it came out, the problems would be over with... no such luck... 

So we move on to surgery on Thursday, this was a little nerve wracking, I do not make a patient patient.  They took me back to the OR and the next thing I knew, I was waking up in the recovery room, everything had gone well with the surgery, although I would later find out, it had not gone as planned.  The rest of the day I was much more awake than I thought I would be and had several visitors and stayed awake for the most part.  Sherri made Dusty go home and stayed with me the first night, and what they say is true, you do not go to the hospital to rest!  They come in all the time to take vitals, etc... the morphine I was on was making me fairly nauseous too, so they didn't get me up the first day.  (and we had to put up a fight that took about 2 hours to get some jello!!! It was worth it in the end, I think it was the best jello I have ever had!)  

The next morning the girl dr. came in to visit and give me an update on how the surgery went. This is where it got hard, she let me know that when she pulled out my uterus to remove the mass shown in the ultrasound, that there were actually 3 masses on top of each other on the outside of my uterus and she was able to remove most of them, she also let me know that there were "a lot" of masses inside my uterus and that she could have spent 6-7 hours removing them during the surgery but that there was not guarantee she would be able to get them all because there were so many and that they would for sure continue to come back.  She said as of now Dusty and I would not be able to have children.  This was when I lost it.  This was hard to hear. But my husband and best friend were by my side and were there to comfort me through it... I wouldn't want it any other way... she went on to say that we should not give up and that she would have us visit a fertility dr. (another dr!  just what I wanted!) and they may know of something that she doesn't, possibly going through short term menopause, etc... she just said that right now, there is not enough room in my uterus for the baby to grow because of all the masses. She also stated that I would need to get a hysterectomy soon, as the masses would continue to be a problem.  

So where do we go from here... for right now we wait... we have to wait the full 6 weeks for recovery from this surgery before we visit with the fertility dr. and see what our options are there.  We are both still faithful and know that we are going to be parents some day. God is good and has a purpose for everything, until I started dating Dusty, I never felt the need to give birth to my children, I had always considered adoption. ( I just never knew if it was because I couldn't have children, or if being single was so hard, that He was only giving me one thing to deal with at a time :)) God knows how much we can bear to handle... So, regardless of what the fertility dr. says, we know that adoption is in our future and we both cannot wait to see what is in store!!! 

Thanks to everyone for the prayers and support during this time.  We are home now and recovery is going well. Now we wait to see what God has in store for our future.  Anyone have any information on adoption, please please feel free to pass it along.  This will be a new adventure for us, and we will be sure to keep you updated!  


No comments: